The 2018 Game Developers Conference is just around the corner, and today organizers want to offer you a sneak peek at all the interactive spaces and events you'll find when you attend the show in March.
Most notably, this year marks the debut of the GDC Film Festival! One of the first ever documentary & narrative film fests focused on the art and culture of video games, the 1st annual GDC Film Festival will take place at the Yerba Buena Center For The Arts’ Screening Room – directly adjacent to the Moscone Center – from Monday, March 19th to Wednesday, March 21st.
The Festival joins a roster of events and interactive spaces at GDC 2018 that encompasses a board game lounge stocked with expertly-curated games, a smorgasbord of one-of-a-kind controller games, and more!
As you sort out your plans for GDC 2018, leave yourself some time to scope out the remarkable array of lounges, exhibits, and other events that will be happening across GDC throughout the week. Highlights include:
- alt.ctrl.GDC - The perennially popular alt.ctrl.GDC showcase of alternative controller games returns to GDC for the fifth year running, bringing with it a great lineup of games played with unique, offbeat controllers that attendees can check out for themselves on the show floor.
- Day of the Devs - This popular indie video game showcase from Double Fine and long-time GDC collaborators, iam8bit, is coming back to GDC 2018! The games on display (to be announced at a later date) will include a wide range of intriguing, innovative & smart titles from some of the industry's leading creators - and some surprises, too.
- GDC Film Festival - Across three days, the GDC Film Festival will screen a wide range of documentaries & other filmed material based around the video game medium, some of which will be debuting for the first time. The Festival will include onstage Q&As with film-makers. The Festival will be open to all GDC 2018 pass holders on a first-come, first-served basis.
- GDC Retro Play - GDC Retro Play returns for its second year at the Game Developers Conference in San Francisco that specifically concentrates on showcasing retro consoles, computers, games and related memorabilia.
- Indie MEGABOOTH - The Indie MEGABOOTH Showcase, an approachable GDC show floor exhibit of hand-picked indie games, returns for GDC 2018. As always, The MEGABOOTH exists to support indie developers and help pool their resources to enable them to showcase their work to the public and their peers.
- Mild Rumpus - While you're enjoying GDC, take a moment to relax and enjoy the Mild Rumpus, a space for you to check out beautifully soothing indie videogames in a comforting oasis of calm.
- Shut Up & Sit Down - This tabletop game exhibit, curated by the razor-sharp minds behind board game enthusiast hub Shut Up & Sit Down, is back once agin to offer GDC attendees a comfortable space to relax, chat, and play some of the best card and board games around.
- Train Jam - GDC officials are proud to continue to support the efforts of those taking part in the fifth annual Train Jam (which typically takes place on a train between Chicago and San Francisco the week prior to GDC) by providing a dedicated space at the show where organizers will be displaying select games made during the jam.
These events and more should offer attendees plenty of stuff to stop and check out between sessions. Also, stay tuned for more announcements about the show in the weeks ahead!